Training Philosophy: To teach owners how to have healthy relationship with their dog based on fairness, clarity and consistency, how to achieve leadership with minimal conflict and teach the dog the desired 'picture' of behavior using a variety of motivators.
We are excited to offer some pretty cool classes this winter, including a new obedience series based the Social Responsibility test from GRC Dogsports. This is not your typical ‘obedience’ class as it focuses on real life social skills.
The SR program is taught in 3 levels with the last level being an open enrollment class to perfect behaviors and, if desired, teams will have opportunity to test their dogs for a SR title through GRC Dogsports. Teams who pass are then allowed to compete in GRC Games.
The mission of GRC Dogsports is to provide people with the motivation to give their dogs the training they need to thrive in this world, and a healthy place for dogs put all of their natural drives. GRC Dog Sports offers fun and healthy outlets such as weight pull, slat mill races, wall climb, spring pole & is open to all breeds!
Learn more about GRC Dogsports & Social Responsibility test
Social Responsibility Level I
What we will cover: Loose Leash walking & structured heel, tactical heel position, calmness with strangers, down, foundations of recall, front, place training, personal play
Length: 5 weeks long
Cost: $135 per team
Dates/Time: Tuesday January 8th-February 5th
Location: Wagon Tails Farm Daycare 335 Augusta Rd, Topsham
What you should know: There will be a brief orientation on the first night of class. Please leave your dog in the car upon arrival.
To Register, Click HERE
Social Responsibility Level 2
What we will cover: Figure 8 loose leash walking, Duration of down, more distractions/distance, recall with front, tactical heeling with motion:
Length: 3 weeks long
Cost: $80 per team
Dates/Time: Tuesdays February 12th-February 26th
Location: Wagon Tails Farm Daycare 335 Augusta Rd, Topsham, ME
What you should know: This is a continuation of Level I class. Register/pay for both levels and receive a $10 discount!
To Register Click HERE
Social Responsibility Level 3
Calm greetings with strangers, polishing all verbal obedience, liberty (with place) . Testing will be offered (Dates to be announced)
open enrollment/ practice
Cost $20 per team
Location: Wagon Tails Farm Daycare 335 Augusta Rd, Topsham ME
What you should know: The test is optional . Any student can come to open enrollment at any time to practice. For current students still in the program, the cost of the open enrollment is $10
Foundation Life Skills
This class is an intense 7 weeks of training where we will teach you HOW to train and maintain behavior. This class will be offered on a limited basis. For dogs 8 weeks and older
What we will cover in this class:
1. Classical/ operant conditioning and marker training
2. Leadership and management. What is it and why it's critical to success
3. Training terms and how to use them
4. Play and why it's important
5. How to create calm behaviors and achieve a balanced and healthy relationship
- Attention (Engagement) and focus
- Position changes (sit/down/stand)
- Conditioned relaxed response
- 'Place' with a stay
- 'Come when called' basics
- Heeling vs.Loose leash walking
- Polite greetings with people
- Problem solving (jumping, barking etc)
- More as time allows
Things to know:
- First class is a HUMAN-ONLY orientation and will last 1.5 hours (details in confirmation e-mail)
- Each class after orientation is an hour long
- YouTube video instruction will follow up classroom instructions for selected exercises
- Full E-mail support for all students during and 30 days after class ends
- Discount on outdoor recall privates sessions
- Full payment is required to hold your place (check/paypal)
WHEN: Tuesdays November 6th- December 18th 5:30-6:30pm FULL!
Location: Happy Tails Training Facility
119 Bishop St, Portland
The first class is a HUMAN ONLY orientation
The following 6 weeks of class (with dogs)